Boston Pickleball

Boston Pickleball

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pickler of Distinction



A Pickler of Distinction

Tom Pazyra






When you do a Google search for Great Guy, Tom Pazyra's picture pops up. Well liked and respected by all who know him, Tom brought pickleball to Wilmington when there was nothing else between Cape Cod and Andover MA. At 77 years old, Tom is a marvel both on and off the court. He was a Renaissance man before the term was coined. He's run close to ten marathons, works for Wilmington Cable TV and is very active in town affairs. Tom may be a humble man but he will bounce the ball of your toes if your not careful.

Where did you first hear of pickleball?
Three years ago I was staying at The Villages and heard the pop sound of pickleball. I went over to see what was going on. I joined the beginner class and liked the game immediately. I then brought it back to Wilmington


What do you like most of the game?
It keeps me in shape. I just enjoy the game. It gives me the illusion that I can still play. It's quick, fast and I enjoy playing a competitive game.

Where do you play now?
We had the town line two outdoor courts at Wildwood School School this summer. When it gets colder we move into Villanova Hall where we have one court and have been playing for three years.

What was your favorite movie of all time?
It was The Treasure of Sierra Madre but I saw The Verdict with Paul Newman and I really loved it.

What has been your greatest vacation?
We had a wonderful cruise around the Mediterranean with some of our friends including Jimmy Buckley and I had a once in a lifetime rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment