Boston Pickleball

Boston Pickleball

Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Pickler of Distinction


Sue Carnevale



How does she find the time? But she does. Sue always has time for people, especially pickleball people. She has spearheaded almost all the efforts to get pickleball into the North Shore and has she been successful! Sue even had us at a Boston Lobster match where we played live and were featured between games. She has been more than generous with her time as a coach and mentor.  She is a pickler of distinction and a friend to all of us who love the game.

1.How did you first hear of pickleball and where did you first play?

It was about  five years ago, when my best buddy Mardee began talking up pickleball.  She had just come back from her first season of life in The Villages.   Now if you know Mardee, you would understand my next statement.  She told me about pickleball about five times a day for weeks on end.  Mardee is very excitable, especially about her new hobbies. 
The following winter when she headed south,  I visited her with my family.  I drove her little pickle-cart (AKA golf cart) to El Santiago.  That was it-I was hooked.  After my week playing, I told Mardee if she came home early, I'd build a court.  Naturally, I was going to build a court anyway!  Although my husband grumbled about ruining the driveway, he got over it.

2.What do you like most about the game?

I love the look the opponents give each other when they both miss the ball, as it whizzes through their center line.  My second favorite part of pickleball is when a new person tries it out, and transforms into another happy pickleball addict.

3  Where do you currently play?

I consistently play at the Beverly Y.  The Tuesday night 7-10 PM slot is my favorite slot and a great social event.  I also like playing at the Pickledome in Malden, but work seems to interfere.   Additionally, I play at Danvers Indoor Sports-another great social event, which extends after court time to a local restaurant for appetizers.   Now that the weather is cooperating, I play in our home court in Beverly.

4.  What is your favorite movie of all time?

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.  

5 Favorite vacation spot?

The Caribbean Islands
Sanibel  Island (despite not having pickleball..yet)

6.  What would surprise people if they knew what?

I am a man trapped in a woman's body.  KIDDING.  
I drove a Harley for many years.  I actually still have my Harley, but have not been on it since I was in a car accident about ten years ago.  We were hit by a drunk driver who was flying down the wrong side of the road.  It was shortly after that time, when I realized I was not invincible. 
I never got on the bike again. but I still won't sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment